SSSA Pedology Division
Pedology is the scientific study of soils and their weathering profiles.
Pedology is literally Soil Science. Pedologists examine how soils form due to the five soil forming factors (time, climate, parent material, topography, and organisms). Pedologists, therefore, use a very comprehensive set of tools from multiple other disciplines (e.g. ecology, geology, archaeology, hydrology). We collaborate with scientists from a wide variety of other scientific fields in order to understand how soils change in response to climate, human land use decisions, and ecosystem evolution.
Messages from Division Chair are delivered by email to the members. If you cannot receive email or are not on the current list, please contact the Division Chair or the SSSA Society to see how you can obtain the information being sent out.
USDA Soils (Soil Survey) Links
- Soil Taxonomy Forum
- USDA-NRCS Soils Web Site
- Soil Survey
- Web Soil Survey (View SSURGO and NASIS Data)
- Soil Data Gateway (SSURGO and NASIS Data)
- Soil Data Mart (SSURGO and NASIS Data)
- Soil Data Viewer (Link SSURGO and NASIS Data)
- List of Published Soil Surveys
- Technical References (including Soil Taxonomy)
- Field Book for Describing and Sampling Soils
- Official Soil Series Descriptions ( OSD )
- Soil Series Extent Mapping Tool
- Soil Lab Data
- Soil Quality
- Soil Science Glossary
- STATSGO (General Soil Map of the US)
- MLRA Explorer
- World Soils
Soil Science Partnerships
- Soil Science Societies and Partnerships
- National Cooperative Soil Survey
- United States Consortium of Soil Science Associations
- Association of Women Soil Scientists
- National Association of Consulting Soil Scientists
- Archaeological Geology Division of GSA
- Quaterrnary Geology and Geomorphology Division of GSA
- Geoinformartics Division of GSA
Soil Survey History Links
- Soil Survey History and Centennial Celebration
- USDA-NRCS Soil Survey History
- National Cooperative Soil Survey Newsletter
Education and Photos
Recent Open Access Articles
Aubrey K. Fine, Harold M. van Es and Robert R. Schindelbeck
Lisa Lobry de Bruyn, Abigail Jenkins and Susan Samson-Liebig
Sandra F. Yanni, H. Henry Janzen, Edward G. Gregorich, Ben H. Ellert, Francis J. Larney, Barry M. Olson and Francis Zvomuya
Donate to Pedology!
We welcome donations to the Pedology Division enhancement funds. These funds are used to enhance division activities during the Annual Meeting. Thank you for your support!
To donate to your division use the link below.
If you represent a company that would like to be a sponsor, please contact Eric Welsh (email@example.com).