Careers in Soil Science
A Day in the Life
Ever wonder why a scientist decides to make soil a career focus?
Who better to ask than the scientists themselves!
This series of interviews highlights the breadth of experiences, challenges, and rewards found within the soil science profession.
Soil scientists explore and seek to understand the earth’s land and water resources. Students of soil science learn to identify, interpret, and manage soils for agriculture, forestry, rangeland, ecosystems, urban uses, and mining and reclamation in an environmentally responsible way. Graduates can choose from a range of excellent professional opportunities and challenging careers. Learn more and help spread the word with our Explore Careers in Soil Science brochure and poster. Contact us for multiple copies.
Colleges and Universities
View a comprehensive list of Colleges and Universities offering Soil Science, Environmental Science, Crop Science and Agronomy Science degrees.
- Interested in a degree in Soil Science? The following schools have indicated that they offer degrees and/or courses in Soil Science. Available here!
- Be sure to also check out our information for prospective college students.
what soil means in my world
The SSSA 75th Anniversary Committee offered the "What Soil Means in My World" Video Contest in honor of the SSSA 75th Anniversary. These winning videos exemplify how soil is used or viewed in global issues (climate change, health, economic, sociality), the impact of soil on local to world events, and soil as a natural/ecological/environmental resource.
- Overall Winner: "Soil Our Nation’s Greatest Natural Resource" by Elizabeth Sarno
- Soils and Food Security: "I Love Food -- I am in Love with Soils" by Priscilla Mebong Mfombe
- Soils and Water Quality/Quantity: "Urban Beat" by Julie DeMeester
- Open Topic on Soil: "Earth.Soil" by Georgia June Goldberg
More Soils Career Videos
Soil Scientists love what they do! Hear them, in their own words, talk about being a soil scientist!
Utah State University - Janis Boettinger, Professor of Soil Science
The Career Center promotes and encourages opportunities in soil and environmental sciences and serves as a clearinghouse for resumes and job listings. Employers and recruiters will find the most qualified talent pool with relevant work experience to fulfill their staffing needs. Visit our career center for the following:
➤Job Seekers search jobs and post your resume
➤Employers post positions and search resumes
➤View Annual Meeting Career Center Activities
➤Find Career Tools
Visit careerplacement.org for all these features and more!